Poems about life - sorrow and recovery

DISTANCE OF RECOVERY

Every day you hold me in your arms
Until I cry my sorrows away
Not sure what went wrong but your words led me astray
Things was never the same
Me standing at the window sill
Looking out at the grassy green hill
Saying quietly to myself
Sorrow and recovery
If only you knew
How you saturated my love into a flaming blaze
How could I ever let u underestimate me so deep
I would rather endure a razor blade to make me weep

I believed something
so artificial it had me blind
For only its my fault
That I allowed my feet to carry me into the dark

But now the lord has pulled me from your hold
Something so harsh and so cold
Revive me lord
Medicate my soul.
~ Tammara Ballentine

1) Christmas Time

I'm not going to commit any more crime cause we are so close to Christmas time
So please let me see my children this one time
And I'll make sure I'll be fine

I just want to see them smile
So I'll just stay with them for a while

I'll give then there presents so they can make a fuss
And I promise I won't do any emotional blackmail stuff

I'll put them to bed and then I'll leave without any tears on my sleeve...
~ Reshma Sher

So Many Daddy's Little Girls

She said when you're a target
(Raging father)
You try to make yourself as small
As possible, that's when the illness hit.
At 11, she refused all food except apples
And milk, her body caved in
Upon itself, a fury so terrifying
It left her hard, angles and bones.
Like a clamor of angels demanding revenge
A self-imposed sabbatical on life, on pleasure
An a bomb in the middle of unhappy family land
Her mother panicked: anorexia nervosa.
The child didn't care, her mind buzzing
With the madness that comes from
Being truly starved
For love or attention, it didn't matter;
Nothing did, but that the weight
Kept falling off,
She looked not unlike an Auschwitz survivor,
The bathroom scale something of a clock
Waiting, waiting, for the intravenous
Drip to build her back up.
Her mother, a kind woman, took her
To a tall, big boned lady with enormous bug eyes
And many fancy degrees---
They talked.
They worked it out.
It took years.
Now, as her aging father shrinks in size
She brings him protein drinks for sustenance
And thinks, what a funny way life has
Of forging forgiveness.
Mercy is the thing you give to the ones once
Unequipped to give it to you
But mostly themselves,
Mirrors being brutal, brutal.
~ Julie Finch
For Dr. Sarah Esselstyn Howell


Next Page: Moving on poems about life

No comments:

Post a Comment